Sunday, September 30, 2012

Wisconsin Quilt Expo Day One


Georgia and her friend Terry (AKA “Tess”) have a lot of hobbies in common. They recently got together in Wisconsin. Here is her report.

Randy dropped me off at the Yuma airport for my morning flight. I hadn’t been there long when I received an email saying that my final flight into Madison had been cancelled. Knowing that an airline would need to put me up for the night in that case, I called them right away. I was happy to hear that the airline would give me a different routing, getting me to Madison within a half hour of my original arrival time. It certainly paid to call early. If I had waited until I had gotten to Chicago to do anything, I would have been out of luck for that day.

Thursday morning Terry and I went to the Quilt Expo bright and early. We had a chance to admire a quilt exhibit before our first class. (Photos are from the exhibit.)

Our first class was a 3 hour class using a rubbing technique to apply oil paint (in sticks) to fabric. I decided that using spray glue probably isn’t a good idea for my asthma, so I will modify the technique for future use. The teacher has a good website.



After lunch I roamed the vendor’s exhibits while Terry took another class. Later on we both took a class about making quilts from “scraps”. I ended up taking three different classes on this subject in all, so they have since run together. This teacher had a website (who doesn’t) that shows some of her work with scraps.

Other scrap quilt references I collected from the teachers include: http://www.marshamccloskey.com/mysquilsin.html
http://quiltville.com








No comments:

Post a Comment