Sunday, March 3, 2019

San Diego Visit


Georgia had a doctor appointment in San Diego on Friday morning. We decided to make trip out of it and drive up on Thursday and come back on Saturday. I have not been out of Yuma since our vacation last August. I must admit that I had had 2 shoulder surgeries and 5 weeks of time off since then. I would not call the 5 weeks of recuperation as vacation time though.

We had only a vague idea of what we were going to do other than the doctor’s visit. Georgia wanted to visit a fabric store and I wanted to visit a wood working store. We would do this on Thursday on the way in. There is not much to see between Yuma and San Diego with only El Centro as a larger city between the two. It basically all desert with some farming around the 2 cities. Yes, the dunes are just outside of Yuma. Sand still does not count as much. There is just more of it.

Georgia got her wish first as we found her fabric store. She even found some material as I read a book. Fortunately, it was a good one. I was lost in another universe as she pawed through the yard goods.

Afterwards, it was her time to read a book as we went to my woodworking store. It was even a name brand store: Rockler. After spending a least an hour, I purchased a banksia nut from Australia which is basically strange looking pine cone. I have great plans for it. Georgia said that the book was good. I hoped that it was as least as good as mine.


We found our hotel for the next 2 nights and were not impressed. Next to it was a construction equipment site for a new freeway they were putting in. After settling in, we found a restaurant. It also was not impressive. We would find a different one the next night.

Friday morning found us getting up a little later than morning and going to breakfast. The hotel breakfast room was packed with 2 groups that looked like they were going to a robotics competition. Georgia went back to her room with hers and I just stood up rather than trying to find a seat.

We left for the doctor’s office at Scripps with plenty of time to get lost in. Fortunately, Sam, our electronic navigator was up to the task. We enjoying viewing the green and the water on the way. Scripps is located close to the stored Torey Pines Golf Course.

Our appointment was at 10:30AM and we were called at that time. The visit went well and we have an appointment to come back in a couple of weeks.

After the visit, we went to Torey Pines State Park so that Georgia could see and touch the ocean. I collected some drift wood for later turning. It would need to be dried out and stabilized before I could can use it in turning. https://torreypine.org/



We ate lunch in the car and then decided to go to Ocean Park area of San Diego and a sea shell shop. I was able to find some interesting shells which Georgia used her phone to light them up. I also got some sea urchins too. Wood turners make Christmas ornaments out of the sea urchins.

That night found us having dinner at another restaurant within walking distance of the motel. It was a German Irish pub. I had the Wiener Schnitzel (veal) and Georgia the Shepherd’s Pie.

Saturday found us leaving for Yuma in the rain which lasted until we got to the other side of the hills between San Diego and Yuma. We arrived in time to have lunch at our usual spot at Kneaders.

After getting home, I put the drift wood in my toaster oven to dry out. Georgia said that the process smelled bad and I checked on the wood and it was fine. Later, I went out to check it and it was really smoky. When I looked in the oven, it was only ash. So much for some interesting projects with drift wood, but I also could have burned the house down. I will have to be content with the sea shells and the banksia nut.


No comments:

Post a Comment