On Monday, December 31, I had my post-surgery visit with my
doctor. I got my stiches removed and a review of what he had to do. Basically, he
removed the bone spur and cleaned up the debris. There was not much room
available for anything in the joint. I was also told that I could drive again
and a return to work date was set for Monday, January 7, 2019 with no
restrictions.
I then went across the parking lot to South West Rehab and
got registered for physical therapy. My first appointment would be for Thursday
at 1:45 PM. I would be with the same physical therapist
The hospital HR office is closed on Monday and Tuesday. I
had to wait until Wednesday to hand in my return to work documentation. I meet
up with the HR person on Wednesday morning. I even drove myself. She inspected
my paperwork and was satisfied that I could start on the following Monday.
I was trying to keep busy as I began to feel better. Georgia
was still having to help me put my shirt on and my jacket. After therapy later
in the week, I was able to do both by myself.
I viewed YouTube videos on how to make pendants. I found
many different ways of how to hold the pendant as it spun on the lathe. I was
trying to find a quicker way and one that did not mar the outside of the
pendant. I intend on scroll sawing a design into the center of the pendant and
filling it with resin. This meant that I was free to have a drilled hole in the
center of the pendant.
One method that I viewed uses a hole saw to cut the pendant
blank out of a piece of wood. It is the same way that plumbers cut large wholes
for pipes and carpenters install handle sets in doors. It was the hole saw
sized bit that had a ¼ inch drill bit in the center. The drill bit helps the
hole saw bit stay in the right spot to cut out the large hole. In my case, I am
interested in the cut out and not the actual hole.
The hole saw bits also come in sizes from ¾ of an inch up to
6 inches. Some sets come with an arbor set that can be used with multiple hole
saws. You can also buy hole saw bits and are one piece. The arbor and one hole
saw are more expensive than the single hole saw and bit. However, the arbor and
more than 1 hole saw are cheaper. I bought the arbor and a 2 inch hole saw bit.
I returned later for the 3 inch size. I will probably be getting more sizes.
After using the hole saw on some ¼ inch oak, I needed to
mount it on my lathe. I found a piece of wood that I had previously turned,
drilled a ¼ inch hole through it, a dowel ¼ inch through the drilled hole and
mounted the pendant blank on it using double sided tape and the dowel. I was
quickly able to turn and shape the outside of the pendant quickly and then sand
first one side and then the other. This method was much quicker that what I
have been doing before.
My next step was to use my scroll saw to cut some designs
into the pendant. I was still using the Game of Thrones wolf and dragon
patterns. I quickly cut them and then filled them with resin, pressure potted
them, and then waited until evening to look at them. I had used oak since I had
a ¼ inch thick plank. I quickly found out that oak does not work well with
resin as the open grained nature of oak allowed the resin to seep into it. They
were not really acceptable. I had made another pendant blank out of myrtle
wood. Its closed grain nature worked
great.
I again read my Elders Quorum lesson material and decided
that there were some great quotes found there. We are using the Elder Rasband’s
and Elder Christofferson’s talks from last conference as selected by the Elders
Quorem presidency. A couple of quotes stood out in my mind as I read Elder
Rasband’s talk. I decided that I could take the pendants that I had made and
make a note stand. I could even cut the pendant in half to get two note bases
out of it.
I have not made these for a couple of years and before the
High Priest and Elders Quorum were combined. I will make about 36 bases and
print out index cards of the quotes to be handed out for my first lesson of the
year. I intend to hand out more during the coming year. I will also encourage
the brethren to make up their own. I really believe that it is by small things that build and strengthen our testimonies of the Gospel.
I leave these quotes for you. I wish you a happy and
prosperous New Year.



No comments:
Post a Comment