Friday, November 2, 2018

2018 October 21 Miscellaneous

Time flies. It seems that there is not much time between weeks anymore. I had my last shoulder doctor visit this week, a month after surgery, and my shoulder is doing well. I asked for a few more weeks of physical therapy as I would like to add some strengthening.

I was able to do a great deal of “Shopping” on Saturday as I am finally getting my strength back.  Sleeping well and not being in pain does wonders. For me, “Shopping“ is working in my workshop. I have been somewhat hampered by my shoulder the past few months. Since I have my band saw now working, I cut up a log that had been laying around for a couple of years and is sufficiently dry to work with for projects. I obtained the wood when a friend moved out of town. He said that is was mesquite, but I think that it is eucalyptus.

A few weeks back, I purchased some rather large pine cones at Hobby Lobby. They are over 14 inches in length. One of them had a bit of damage on the top section and I have been puzzling about what to do with it. Well, I finally decided to cut it into cross sections which I did yesterday. The sections looked like a flower to me so I put a smaller pine cones bottom section on it and it really does look like a flower. It is about 5 inches across.



I completed the base for the “Tree of Life” piece. I noticed that the reason that the battery would not light was because I had the leads reversed. After I corrected that, it worked great. I was able to finish the rest of it up. What can I say. I am software and not a hardware engineer.

I also fixed my scroll saw. The blade had been slipping out of the holder. I just had to sand it a bit to make it grip a bit better.

I will be working on some additional resin pieces, but I needed some really dry pine cones for them. I put the pine cones that I got from my sister’s yard back into the toaster oven and baked them some more. I am looking forward to making some resin boxes with pine cones in them.

Georgia and I also went to a matinee showing of the movie “First Man” about Neil Armstrong and the first moon landing. I was 13 years old at the time and stayed home from Sacrament Meeting to watch him take the first step on the moon.

Georgia’s father worked on equipment that went to the moon. His name is on circuit board that is on the moon now. She and her family watched the moon launch on a family 6-week vacation which went all the way from Palo Alto, CA to New York.

Technology invented for the space program has really taken off. I look around the room and see 6 tablets, 3 PCs, and a cell phone that all owe their existence to it.

I also have an Amazon Alexa device in the bedroom and garage. I really like being able to set a timer by voice when my hand is full of glue or otherwise full of stuff. I also enjoy being able to listen to the music that I want through it too. Every once in a while, Alexa thinks that we have given her a command and she speaks up about it. She/it is like having a Cockatoo that squawks every once is a while. I guess that she is our pet bird.




Work was interesting this week. They had Innovation Day where we attended a few classes and had the opportunity to win an Apple watch (which I did not want and fortunately, I did not win) and all got another water bottle. This one was shaped like a light bulb. I will add it to the kitchen cabinet above the fridge where I keep all of the others.

We have always been plagued with network problem at YRMC. This is the worst I have ever seen it in my professional career. It is also the most complex. We have had several times where the network has been down for days while they worked on things. This is usually after they made a network change which they never seen to understand what it will do. Sometimes they tell us that they made the change and other times we have to pry it out of them. They are under a different director and therefore management.

While I was out with my shoulder, they had another incident that took 3 days to clear up. The hospital management is getting tired of the network issues that we constantly having as am I. It is hard for the clinical people to treat patients when they do not have access.
Network issues directly affect me as the messages do not flow between systems when the network is done or worse yet is partially working. When I am on call, I get phone calls about it in the middle of the night.

The director over networking recently quit. My manager has applied for the job and is one of two that they are interviewing for the position. The other one is from outside the company.  She has had it with their excuses and will whip them into shape if she gets the job. I will be sad to lose her if she is chosen, but happy to get the network team on the same page as the rest of us. I believe that she will get the job. I might be moving over to that side of the house with her as she might be taking the entire group.

This is it for this week. It was nice going back to church this week after having had Stake Conference follow General Conference. Hope everything is going well with all of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment