I was at work,
Thursday afternoon, when my shoulder really started to hurt. No, not the left
shoulder that I had surgery on in September. This was my “Good” right shoulder.
I toughed out the remaining hour or so and drove home when it really started to
hurt. I was waiting for my family medical advisor (Georgia) to get home (She
has been giving flu shots all week) before I did much about it other than heat.
She had me change to ice which did little good. I had to take an anti-inflammatory
pill before things started to settle down. I was actually able to sleep.
Because of pain, I
did not go to work today (Friday), but I called my shoulder doctor’s office,
who is actually my ministering brother and in my ward. They were able to get me
in that afternoon. They took X-rays of my shoulder. Dr. Peare came in, put both
my shoulders through their paces and then said “I have some good news and some
bad news for you” as he looked at the new X-rays. He told me that my left
shoulder was doing well. The bad news was that my right shoulder had a bone
spur just like the left one formerly had. Although a cortisone shot would take
care of the problem temporarily, surgery would be needed for a long-term fix. The
upshot is, I will be having surgery in December on my right shoulder.
Since we have the maximum out of pocket for medical expenses
covered for this year, it will be free. One might say I am getting a Twofer – a
two for the price of one. I am now familiar with what will happen and also staying
at the hospital. I will be taking my own CPAP machine this time.
You know when you are
getting old when all of your calendaring items consist of medical things like
doctor appointments, physical therapy sessions, surgeries, procedures, etc. I
thought about this as I entered my MRI appointment (Saturday), the tentative
surgery date of December 14, and Georgia reminded me about her upper endoscopy
on December 21. We snickered about “Its not you, its me” as we looked at all of
the appointments.
I also thought up another definition of “Assisted Living” as
I had to “assist” my right hand with my left hand today because of shoulder
problems. I also had to remember which was my “Good” shoulder as I was getting
out of the car on the passenger side. Today it is my left.
As my shoulder
surgery is scheduled in December just before the ward Christmas Sacrament
meeting, I guess that I will not be singing with the choir for Christmas, but
that is better than singing with a heavenly choir.
Did I talk about rehabilitation at Southwest Rehab? I swear there is a situation comedy waiting
to be produced there. I will be returning in January. I can’t wait to say “I’m
Back”. The strange things that they do and have people do to help stretch and
strengthen body parts are entertaining if you are not actively participating. I
swear that they stay up nights thinking about what diabolical activity they can
encage in next with their unsuspecting patients.
One of my favorites (to watch) is the crab walk where a
person crouches down with a stretch band and “Crab” walk around. I have been
there for back and shoulder problems. I
can hear them now chuckling about me having both shoulders done within about
three months and scheming what they can do to
me for me.
My MRI was scheduled
for Saturday. When I got to the appointment and signing in, the appointment was
for my left knee when it is supposed to be my right shoulder. They could not
change it without a doctor’s order.
Fortunately Dr. Peare lives in my ward and LDS Tools is
great. We were able to contact him and he was able to change the order to be my
right shoulder. I would have had to cancel today’s appointment and reschedule
otherwise.
Saturday night, I got
an email notice that my MRI test results were ready. The interpretation was
that there was no rotator cuff tear. This means a shortened recovery time after surgery. I like the hospital’s MyChart app that gives
me this information. It emails me when I should look at it. I also
can see appointments, test results, bills, send medication refill requests to
my doctor, etc. I can even cancel and reschedule appointments. A doctor can
also send me notes.
What would life be like if we could not make a joke out of our
experiences. I am also grateful for technology that makes it all work together.
I am proud of the work that I do to make it so and the opportunity that the
hospital gave me here. Of the 23 or so people that the hospital
brought in for the Electronic Health Record project 8 years ago, I am the only
one left. They call me the Last of the Mohicans. All too soon (a couple of
years), I will be retiring and leaving too. I have enjoyed my time here back in
the desert. I have good people to work with. Hopefully they think the same
about me.
I was not able to do any projects this weekend. Pain pills and power equipment do not mix. I want to keep my fingers. I did some resin work, but no completed or even unfinished projects.
I was not able to do any projects this weekend. Pain pills and power equipment do not mix. I want to keep my fingers. I did some resin work, but no completed or even unfinished projects.


No comments:
Post a Comment