Sunday, June 9, 2013

Zombie Elephants!

From Georgia:

My schedule has been very busy the last couple of months. Some of that is due to being the Secretary for Relief Society at church, and some of it has to do with having three contracting jobs. (Two have been more consistant; the third is just whenever I can schedule it into my schedule.) I'd been stressing about all of the things that I needed to do, etc.

This week as I was driving up to Lake Havasu City I was thinking about what I could do to deal with the situation a little better. Somehow I came up with the idea of: "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.) So I started using that idea for a day or two. (As in: "that office had better be careful, I eat elephants".)

Now, the drive to Lake Havasu City is three hours, one way. I've gone up there several times in the last few weeks. Typically I get up at 4am or 4:30am, and drive three hours to get there when offices open. Then I do my business all day, followed by the drive home.

On Friday last week I again was scheduled to go to Lake Havasu City. It was the second time in a week, and the week had been long besides. I was tired. After getting to the office I was supposed to visit, I was informed that their internet was down, so I would not be able to start my work at that time. The problem was being worked on, and would I like to wait?

After waiting about 30 minutes I called my manager to update her on the situation. This kind of situation wouldn't be a problem in Yuma, I'd just run home for a while. However, I was in Lake Havasu, and wanted to follow protocol. My manager ran through how long I should wait, and asked for an update when it was available.

After waiting some more, my contact person in the Lake Havasu office informed me that the internet was up. To make a complicated story short, he basically told me that he would not let me do my job. I left the office, went to my car and called my manager. I was hopping mad. I informed her of the situation, and she said she would talk to the contact person.

Meanwhile I texted Randy: "In Havasu. The elephant is fighting back. More news at our next broadcast".

Randy responded: "Remember you have to slay the elephant before you can eat it".

I replied to Randy: "I thought I had. Maybe it's a zombie elephant."

After a while (simplified version) my manager said that I should quit trying to get the Lake Havasu contact person to let me do my job, and that I would be paid for my time and mileage.

I texted Randy: "I put a stake through the zombie elephant's heart. It's dead this time. Heading home".

Randy replied: "Good hunting. See you home".

Instead of being angry at the Lake Havasu contact while driving three hours back home, I chuckled and smiled at the thought of zombie elephants all the way home. Thinking of "zombie elephants" still gives me a giggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment