Sunday, April 22, 2012

Randy's Ark

With the continued stress of my job as Go-Live nears, I have returned to woodworking as a means of coping. There is something about concentrating on something else that crowds out the worry about things that I have no control over. It is also productive. That is, I usually produce more than just sawdust.

The story of Noah and his Ark has fascinated me from an early age. It is the first bible story that I believe that I learned or at least remember. I am sure that is true of most Christian adults. I built one Noah’s Ark for Pat Haderlie’s youngest daughter at least 15 years ago. I found a new pattern that is based on the segmented bowls that I have working with lately. I decided to build it.

The animals and the ark are based upon animal crackers that you purchase for young children. The ark has the head and tail of a rooster. The various animals are based on them too. It has taken me a couple of weekends to complete, but here are pictures of it. I am giving it to one of my co-workers at work to give to her grandson.
There is a saying that came with the ark plans. “Everything I need to know about life, I learned from Noah’s Ark.” These things include:


1: Don’t miss the boat.

2: Remember that we are all in the same boat.

3: Plan ahead. It wasn’t raining when Noah built the Ark.


4: Stay fit. When you’re 600 years old, someone may ask you to do something big.

5: Don’t listen to critics; just get on with the job that needs to be done.

6: Build your future on high ground.

7: For safety’s sake, travel in pairs.

8: Speed isn’t always an advantage. The snails were on board with the cheetahs.

9: When you’re stressed, float a while.

10: Remember, the Ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic by
professionals.




1 comment:

  1. This is incredible! We still have the ark you made for me, and I love it! You are so talented Uncle Randy!

    ReplyDelete